Student Visa

Student visa


Most international students will need a student visa to study in the UK. If you are 16 or over and want to come to the UK for your higher education, you will need to apply for a student visa.

Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS) 

Before you can apply for your visa, your sponsor will need to assign you a CAS; CAS is a virtual document with a unique reference number which confirms that the Sponsor is willing to accept you as a student.

Financial requirement

In additional to any outstanding fee for the first academic year, you will need to show that you have funds in the amount of £12006 (£1334 per month x 9 months) if attending a university in London or £9207 (£1023 per month x 9 months) if attending a university outside London.

If you have resided in the UK with valid leave for 12 months or more, you will be exempt from the financial requirement.

English language requirement

You must meet the required level of English language ability depending on your course level.

You will need to pass a secure English language test (SELT) from an approved test provider at level B1 if you will be studying a course below degree level or level B2 if you will be studying a course at degree level or above.

Alternatively, you will meet the English language requirement if you will be studying a course at degree level or above with a HEP (higher education provider with a track record of compliance) and they have assessed your English language ability.

If you studied for your GCSE or A-level English in the UK while you were under 18, you will automatically meet the English language requirement.

Child student visa

Students aged between 4-17 wanting to study at an independent UK school will need to apply under the Child student route.


Free UK University Application Service

Mulgrave law works in partnership with a trusted university application specialist firm along with having direct links with a number of UK and USA universities. We are able to offer assistance with both undergraduate and post graduate applications.